Sunday, June 3, 2012

Life's River Shall Rise

My faith/love/affinity for concerts has been renewed.  I went to Collective Soul last night with my fellow UMasser, Fallon Wall.  I have had an enjoyable time at concerts lately.  Snow Patrol gets the crowd going really well.  And SXSW did allow me to see Mumford & Sons who are incredible performers.  But something was different last night.  I don't know if it was that I've listened to this band since I was young, if I was less than 5 feet from the stage, or if they're just better overall performers.  But last night was one of the best nights I've had since moving to Austin.  And since I was marking 2 months until I move to MA, it seemed somewhat appropriate timing.

Also, some who have gone out with me know I get aggravated when I get pushed around or bumped out of the way because I'm short.  And if you know Fallon, you know she shares my vertically-challengedness.  So we coined a phrase last night as some pushy concert-goers (and later bar-goers) tried to push in front of us:

We matter because we are matter.

So America, you have been warned.  We may be short, but our size doesn't mean we're easier to push in front of than average-height people.  I'd like to give a shout out to the upper-40s rocker couple who let Fallon and I in front of them last night about 10 minutes before the show started.  The guy hit it on the head when he said "Please come stand in front of me.  I can still see over your heads no problem."  You're right, good sir.  And I don't find that offensive.  I can't see over or around you at all.  Thank you for realizing proximity matters less for you than it does for my dear friend and I in terms of actually being able to see the band.

(Side note, I've had the Miss USA pageant on while working on things this evening.  They're doing a lip sync to "Call Me Maybe" that included Donald Trump singing along, asking America to call him, maybe.  I appreciate when people don't take themselves too seriously.  The Trumpster redeemed himself a bit tonight.)

I also have had time to cook recently.  Made my fave lemon-herb chicken tonight.  Want to do pulled pork BBQ soon, too.  Maybe July 4?  I've got the Sauers and everything.  Hoping to try some new recipes too and am taking suggestions.  Preferably stuff on the healthier side, and if anyone has tips on cooking seafood I'd appreciate it.  I've messed things up several times and gotten gun shy of spending the money on meat that gets thrown away.

Going back to July 4 - anyone in town that weekend?  I'd honestly be down to making pulled pork and yall bringing sides if people are up for it as one of my last big get togethers.

No comments:

Post a Comment