Friday, March 29, 2013

Viral Laryngitis

Viral laryngitis.  That's apparently what I have.  Know what that means?  I'm hoarse.  That's the technical terminology for hoarseness.  I only went to a doctor because I've been having trouble with my singing voice for about 2 months and started having trouble with my speaking voice this past week.  Because apparently one vocal chord is swollen and the other one is trying to compensate and when I try to sing, they don't work properly because one's swollen.  I'm glad it's not serious.  I really am.  It could have been something that needed surgery or even a biopsy.  It's nothing that serious.  But it was really unpleasant to have my nose and throat numbed and a probe pushed through my sinuses to look at the back of my throat just to be told what I already knew.  I'm hoarse.

So for the next three weeks, I can't sing, can't whisper, shouldn't talk more than absolutely necessary and when I do talk, should talk as low as I can.  I have to drink more water than what I apparently already drink (which is about 2250 mL a day) and humidify everything.  It's all doable.  It all could be soooo much worse.  I know that what irks me the most is that I can't sing.  And being an extrovert, not being able to talk is a bit annoying as well.

As I was driving to my appointment today, though, I realized I'd be completely screwed in terms of keeping up with friends and family, interacting with people, if it weren't for modern technology.  Email, Facebook, Skype chatting, texting, blogging, and word processors allow me to still carry on conversations and participate in class.  That's saving my sanity at the moment.  My singing voice may sound horrendous but my metaphorical voice isn't gone.  So that's something.

It's also odd to be physically voiceless during Holy Week.  There is a lot of singing and collective praying and responsive readings that have been going on this week that I haven't been able to actively participate in.  Sometimes it's too much and I lose it and sob.  Sometimes it's like being an observer.  I've yet to find it enjoyable, but it has made this week interesting.  I assume the Easter experiences yet to come will be even more powerful.

1 comment:

  1. That is ROUGH. I agree that it's good that it didn't turn out to be worse, medically speaking, but as a fellow singing enthusiast, I totally get why that would be so hard.

    ReplyDelete