Sunday, September 9, 2012

Becoming a southern fried theologian

It's been a month now since I've last posted.  I think if "blog writing" doesn't make it to my Google calendar it may not happen more frequently than this.  I'll work on that.

I am fully in the swing of seminary now, though.  I am moved in, unpacked, oriented, and initially educated on what this semester has to offer.  My courses are interesting to me, despite one being at 8 am.  It also really does help that I already finished one graduate degree.  The ability to read in high volumes and find 10-12 page papers short is going to make starting this new program less stressful.  It'll be the style of thinking (moving from sociological analysis to theological analysis) that will take practice and refinement.

I am also VERY pumped for Southern Fried Theologians to get under way.  Who knew so many southern seminarians would be at BU?  I feel the two years in Texas primed me for the college football mania that will be a large part of this group (Hail State! & Hook 'Em!).  Plus there's the enjoyment of all things southern food, southern slang, and southern comfort.  And it's a little ironic that I'm so pumped about this since I now identify as being from Boston.  That hasn't changed.  I am a New Englander with Southern tendencies.  I'll kill you with kindness if you don't like it.  :)

The church search has begun as well.  It'll be interesting to figure out what winds up speaking to me more, if I continue to go to a Baptist church or try out other options, and how active I get in a church once I've found one I want to commit to.  I was lucky/spoiled in Austin to know a place and honestly didn't church shop at all.  Here is different.  And "here" is a place where church is less common and more likely to be stigmatized as judgmental and outdated.  "Here" is where I intentionally chose to go to seminary.

Mass transit is one of God's best creations.  I enjoy my bus rides into campus, whether I'm reading, catching up on Words with Friends, or relaxing my mind after a long day, I actually really like the bus rides home.  When I get to sit down, that is.  Standing for 35 minutes holding on to a bar isn't that enjoyable.

While this post isn't that descriptive about the past month, I'm happy to chat with any of yall more directly or answer more specific questions you'd like to know.  Though, I'll fill you in on this: If you have the chance to see a liger, DO IT.  Totally awesome animal!  For now, though, I need to have dinner then get back to reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment